Have you ever been trapped inside a home without air conditioning? This is a very terrifying experience. We all know the effects of this broken appliance in our homes: it will make your house too hot to live, ruining anything that may be stored there like food and other supplies.
Prevent this from happening by learning how to fix an AC yourself.
There are some simple reasons for your air conditioner to stop working. Just follow these steps so you can quickly repair it and continue living in the coolest place possible:
1. Check the thermostat. Is it set on “cool” or “off?” If not, switch it to cool mode. If this is not the problem, try checking your thermostat’s battery or wires. If it still won’t work, go to the next step.
2. Unplug the appliance and plug it back in. This often helps because it resets the device. If this doesn’t solve the problem, go on to step 3
3. Clean any dust around or on your AC’s filter. Dust clogs up the machine, which can result in poor air quality. Just take off the dirt with a vacuum cleaner, rag, or damp cloth.
4. Check for any leaks. This is one of the most common reasons why an AC unit will stop working. The liquid refrigerant may have escaped into your rooms. If so, call the professional in Big Texas Comfort HVAC services to take care of this.
5. Make sure the vent is not obstructed. The appliance’s airflow should be directed outside your house, not towards the wall or window inside your home. Also, check that all vents are free from any furniture or objects that block airflow.
Tips To Maintain Your Air Conditioning Unit
Now that you know how to fix a broken air conditioner, it is also very important for you to inspect your unit thoroughly. This will prevent future problems and ensure the appliance runs well.
Here are some steps on how to do this:
1. Inspect the coils and fins of the machine, which are normally at the back or bottom of the air conditioner. A fin is a small piece of metal that unlocks heat from the machine and transfers it to your room’s environment. Fins are usually straight, but some models have curved or twisted ones.
2. Make sure the fins are free from dirt or dust. If they are dirty, clean them with a vacuum cleaner, rag, or damp cloth.
3. Check for clogs, blockages, and leaks in the hose of the appliance. If you notice any leaks, call an expert right away to take care of them before it becomes worse.
Get An AC Repair Pros!
The best way to learn how to fix a broken air conditioner is to work with someone who has extensive experience with air conditioner repair. Their knowledge and skills will come in handy if your appliance breaks down completely, but also for regular maintenance on the machine.
A professional technician can inspect your AC unit thoroughly and make sure it’s working at optimal conditions. They know what signs to look out for if something is wrong with the appliance. Air conditioners are very complex machines, so it takes a lot of training to be able to fix them efficiently.
As you can see, fixing your own air conditioner is not as easy as some people make it seem. It is best to leave this job up to a trained technician who knows exactly what they’re doing. If the appliance is still under warranty, having a professional handle ensures you will not have to pay for any replacement parts or repairs.